Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have taken some big game at over 400, out to around 550--several before laser rangefinders appeared, when I'd stolen from previous gun writers (especially Elmer Keith) how to use a scope's reticle--or even a front sight--to provide a pretty good "measurement" of range as long as I knew the approximate chest-depth of various animals. It worked well, but a laser works better, unless of course it doesn't provide a read-out, which is why I still keep up with my reticle-ranging.

But haven't shot one over around 350 or so for a few years, mostly due to not doing as much "trophy" hunting. So far haven't been tempted to stretch the range to 400 when making meat. But will also point out that anybody who shoots enough smaller varmints at longer ranges to consistently hit them over 400 won't find killing deer-sized game much of problem. Remember one day under somewhat unusual prairie dog conditions where I killed 9 of 14 at 600-650 yards with a 1-12 twist .223 Remington using 50-grain Ballistic Tips. If you do that sort of shooting regularly--especially with a big game rifle, which I've also done--400 isn't a problem on a pronghorn.

IME you've stated the most important underlying factor of engaging targets at shorter ranges such as 400 yards! When your shooting at small varmint sized targets at 650 yards with a bullet that is not known for bucking the environment you get a bunch better at shooting. In fact if a person has a bullet known for its environmental defying property's in the right cartridge 400 yards is like skill level 1 compared to a skill level 10 that you were indeed performing at 600+ varmints. Anyone who has dabbled in long range shooting understands this to be a fact and also understands what you were accomplishing.

500 yards and under from an environmental standpoint is actually a simple task for anyone who is interested in learning how to do it. Beyond 500 gets a bunch more complicated! Taking 9 out of 14 small varmints at 600+ yards with a 50 grain ballistic tip is down right impressive! I'd not want to be a pronghorn standing at 400 yards. My chances of survival would be almost zero

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 07/18/22.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field