Barsness : "Another comment at this stage of the discussion: I learned decades ago that while an accurate rifle and the skills to use it certainly help in pronghorn hunting, I eventually found more pleasure and satisfaction from pulling off a good stalk than a long shot."

I knew there was a reason I like your writing. smile

My son and I pulled off an excellent stalk on a big bull caribou a few years back. I had no rest and the crosshairs were all over the place at 162 yards, near dark, with heavy escape cover near by. I passed the shot. I call it the "best shot I never made".

My wife said she had never seen such chit-eating grins as we had when we entered the camper an hour later.

Oh yeah- it was the last day of a 3 day EO closure season.

On a flip side, I once killed a cow caribou (at an undetermined range, pre rangefinder) . The RU77V .25-06 with 120 gr handholds was zeroed 5 1/2 inches high at 100.

The first shot kicked up snow on the hillside under her belly. The second shot, with the cross-hairs just over her ears (standing broadside, head up), centered her shoulder blades. The bullet lodged by it's base in the off-side shoulder blade.

Dunno the range, but I don't do that anymore.

Last edited by las; 07/18/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.