Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Alright then. We should start a thread on what our closest shots have been. I've shot 3 elk that were well within 15 yards. One at 10 yards and he didn't even know I was there until after I pulled the trigger. If he would have kept walking my way I would have stuck the barrel in his nostril.... The moral of the story is you never know how near or far the shot is going to be, but one thing I can tell you is if I know I can make the shot, I'm not going to pass on the opportunity. There's a lot of speculation in this thread and it's never not funny. A lot of guys think they can draw a conclusion without even having half a clue..
I've only had the opportunity to shoot deer beyond 200 yards in the last 10 years or so, and I've come to enjoy shooting deer at ranges from 300-600 yards.

But the first 30 years I hunted, I killed exactly 2 deer over 100 yards, 180 yards being the longest shot. Most of the deer were 50 yards or less because you just can't see any further in southern pine forests. Two of the bucks I shot were literally at the base of my tree and I shot straight down between the shoulders. Exit holes were on the bottom of the rib cage. I had to hop over one of the bucks from my climbing platform after descending down the tree.

Also killed a few within 15 yards while sitting on the ground.

Last edited by AU338MAG; 07/18/22.

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales