Originally Posted by DBrink
Those are far from "bad" numbers and as stated multiple series or longer strings will tell more. I have seen instances where higher ES and SD yielded better groups than ones closer togethter. Not saying it is the norm but can happen. I wouldn't get too hung up on it as long as they are on the lower end and in many cases IMO, you can find the sweet spot when incremental increases in powder levels stop yielding average or expected increases in velocity. So as an example if velocites have been increasing by say ~75-100 FPS for each 1 grain or 1/2 grain increase in powder and your are close to upper end load and all of the sudden velos on increase by 35 FPS, then I normally see ES and SD increase as well and maybe start to see pressure signs. Just my experience and YMMV.

I am certain someone else will have varying experiences and opinions. wink
Thanks for the reply! Appreciate it! Seems the ticket here is experience (as in most things). This is my first use of a chrono in around 30 years of handloading. Only had the groups on paper to tell me what was good. I did get a little hung up on these numbers as I had expected the numbers to be closer together than what I got. I also thought this chrono would help me find GOOD loads faster and with less waste of powder and bullets! Something else I was wrong about! lol I'll have to go up and down the ladder again and see what the numbers tell me. I'm still hoping for an SD of less than 10 and an ES of less then 20! We'll see if I can find the sweet spot before hell freezes over!

Thanks for the time and knowledge sharing! Sure appreciate it!!

Proper prior practice prevents piss poor performance!