Originally Posted by GhettoSportman
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I see guys fussing around with their fancy chrono's at the range. So much in fact it messes with their shooting. One newbie handloader (you see a lot of newbies getting this kind of schidt because they are led to believe they absolutely need one) came to me last year at my clubs range and asked why his groups looked like schidt when his SD's were single digits. First I said, well you have that damn thing hanging off of your barrel, second it's a Christensen Arms, plus you think you need fancy azzed dies. And "Oh, by the way why didn't you come to the "precision" rifle shoot that you asked for at the last meeting????"
Well I did fine for around 30 years without one but this year I got 2 350 Legends for southern Michigan hunting. When I started load testing the Lil'Gun data from Hodgdon seemed awful hot, even the starting load. It made me nervous enough to spend money I probably shouldn't have to make sure I wasn't getting into dangerous territory! Never had a problem with published data before and the same Hodgdon data for H110 was fine. Anyway, I felt I should have one to stay out of trouble now and get accurate fps readings for my ballistic solvers.

Some claim that the Magnetospeed does affect poi but not groups. who knows for sure but I'll definitely find out! Thanks for the reply especially since you seem upset by anything to do with chronographs (simply going by this post of yours) or fancy dies!

Have a great day!

Chrono's are great tools, I use them for checking velocity. I don't really give a chidt about sd's and es's. I work up loads finding OCW and let the rifle tell me what it likes. All that can be seen on the target downrange. If you can't figure that out, I don't know what to tell you... I'm not from the ghetto though. Maybe you guys do it differently down there?? I remember once pissing one of my aeronautical engineer buddies off when he talked me into running some of my loads over his fancy chrono. Wondering why my rifles shot so well/better than his. SD'S were in the single digits. He asked, "tell me what you do for a living again". Wondering how a welder could make better loads than an engineer... Its called working up the best load, based on what your rifle is telling you. One reason I always verify a load with multiple 5 and 10 shot groups. Use a good powder that is not temp sensitive and if you are really anal, use some benchrest primers with that powder... Although, in the Western powder data I have, they don't list a 55gr NBT with that powder in a 223. They do list it for lighter nosler bullets. With the 55gr NBT, I'd be running something like Vihtavuori N135, N120, CFE223 or H335, just to make things simple. And don't listen to the guys that have never ran Nosler "seconds". They don't know what they are talking about.. They shoot just like firsts..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA