Originally Posted by Sheister
Reading this thread reminds me of when I started reloading 50 years ago. I worried about every little thing but life got in the way so I started to simplify things so I could live with my results and still have a life. I seldom use my Pro Chrono unless I have a round I definitely plan on using for extreme uses- long range critters be it elk, deer, or rock chucks.... just so I can come up with a decent drop table. Once I get that settled within a relatively small or expected range of fps, I am happy as long as my groups are looking like I expect them to. The rest is fluff to keep you occupied while waiting for the next hunting trip IMO, but really don't change much when it comes right down to it.

When it comes right down to it, groups tell you just about everything you need to know. If you really want to know how your rifle is shooting a particular load, stretch it out a bit and shoot some 200,300,400 yard groups and see what you think... and to add to what BSA says, the Nosler seconds are absolutely excellent bullets and as good as the firsts. I've shot some really impressive groups with them that I wouldn't even post as most guys would call me a liar...

This is supposed to be fun, isn't it? Sometimes we forget that in our OCD attempt to get everything perfect....

Bob

I've shot with you buddy and I know you know what you are doing. Great post.

Here's that day when I was fu cking around. Not enough people there that time to really care:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It sounds like the op has been handloading for a long time as well, so he probably knows deep down what is right and what works. If we were all extreme long range or benchrest shooters, maybe our feelings would be different?? Now, I'm not saying low es and sd numbers aren't critical. What I was trying to get at in my prior posts is you should be able to get those low numbers by just shooting and finding a very good load. Your rifle and load will tell you that on target: By "very good", I mean extremely consistent and precise. And no, that is not that single 3 shot group fired off during load development. That's the 5 and 10 shot groups to verify. Once the load is VERIFIED, then shoot your 3 shot bragging groups if that is what floats your boat. However, shooting a one hole 3 shot 100 yard group is common place for a good consistent load and not even worth my time posting. I don't know how many thousands of times that happens in the 5 and 10 shot group strings, but it's been a lot with a GOOD load. I have OCD more than a lot here, but don't concern myself with worrying about the numbers. When I bought my old used chrono ($50) I was happy to have one to check velocities. As a matter of fact, I will be using it this week on a new to me 300 Rem SAUM. This will be to check velocities on a powder that I don't normally use and I want to be sure I'm not overpressure. Like I said before, a chrono is a very useful tool. I like to know my velocities for when I'm shooting out to 1,000-1,500 yards and then I use that useful info in the ballistic calculator.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA