I have probably told this on this forum before. I met my wife when we were both 13 and I shot a small bull moose up by Lorraine Creek in the Iron Hills which lie on the Berry Bros. Mine Road on the way to Kotsina. I got up early that morning while the stars were still out and the dawnlight had not reached the tips of the mountains. I woke up my dad and my brother and we eased out on the road with gutless our underpowered beatup 1978 Dodge 1/4 ton 2wd slant 6 pickup. Gutless was actually an incredible offroad vehicle because it would just bounce out of most obstacles and was light enough that it wouldn't sink in mud. We travelled about 3 miles during the civil twilight to reach an overlook. I was riding on the top of the camper. I noticed the moose at about 300 yards about 5 minutes into our sit and hammered him with a 130 grain silvertip 270 winchester bullet and that was that.

We cut up the moose and about an hour later. A group of Native women with a beautiful girl who was wearing a red bandana came by as they were picking blueberries. We found out that they were from Chitina and the girl was going to be going to Kenny Lake High School that fall. She was shy and I was shy too. I gave them a front quarter, some backstraps and some of the other meat. I think that that sealed the deal. We had 10 years apart after high school but we got back together when she moved back to Chitina and I was teaching out in the Bush. We have been married for 24 years and she is definitely my better half.