Originally Posted by RiverRider
I'd be interested in knowing what the distinctions of those principle are. IOW, what was wrong with Reagan's ideas and how there errors should be corrected.

For one thing Reagan approved no fault divorce as gov of Cali.

Mainly I’m speaking of the very limiting focus upon libertarian and free market economic aspects of conservatism as Conservatism itself.

Prosperity and libertinism without a moral framework to direct us as to how to properly spend money and our freedom leads to what we have now.

Old school (Edmund) Burkean Conservatism is a way of seeing the world that permeates one’s politics including economics & views on liberty but is not a mere political ideology.

Russell Kirk’s bio of Burke, Roger Scruton”s How to be a Conservative, and Richard M Weaver’s Ideas Have Consequences all are helpful in clarifying some of this stuff.

Christopher Caldwell’s Age of Entitlement makes what I found to be a very Trumpian argument starting with the 1964 Civil Rights Act that Reagan did more damage to Conservatism than help. I don’t know if I’d be that harsh but his arguments are tough to refute.