Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by drop_point
My goal is typically to take a mature animal. I don't necessarily care to take the biggest rack and won't spend countless hours in search of a specific animal. I shoot the first mature animal I see. Usually, mature animals will have a larger rack AND they will provide more meat. Myself, I don't have a problem with what others do so long as it isn't creating a problem for somebody else.

I generally head hunt similarly...ie, I look for a "good" animal but don't give a damn about inches (of antler at least). The issue here is that lots of strict head hunters do feel you're creating a problem for somebody else by shooting small bucks and definitions of "too small" vary widely. Conversely, by only shooting trophies some feel that makes anti hunters hate the sport more, so again you're creating a problem for somebody else by head hunting. Everyone seems to have a different thought process concerning how critters should or should not be managed. I see arguments about it all the time and am fascinated by so many points of view.

Mostly here on the Oregon Coast, the Blacktail do all right. There’s more bucks that are never seen by anyone. Frick’n nocturnal demons, or as they’re called ‘ghosts’.

Doe hunting is what stirs up emotions for some people. Shoot a doe, you just killed a potential fawn producer.

I imagine in places where animal density is lower, hunters would have stronger feelings about shooting a fork or doe.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”