Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by roundoak
Why would I want to be a meat hunter when I raise prime angus beef? The only exceptions are: 1) I donate 2 doe to the DNR sponsored food pantry. 2) My wife and her mother can the meat of a doe and donate it to the church bazaar every year. After that it is big animals and horns, son.

The monster whitetails you and your crew kill during rifle season completely befuddles me. In my experience the only way that happens is if you control a large contiguous tract of land, out here that'd be 1,500+ acres with a 50/50 mix of timber to crop land, and have almost no hunting pressure prior to the rifle season.

Don't get me wrong, I always look forward to your deer season tales, so whatever you're doing, keep up the great work!

100% of the members would agree with me that our success on nice size bucks has a lot to due with the deer drive. We drive private big timber and small woodlots, public river islands, public land. We drive places that many hunters would not hunt, for example open prairie restoration or CRP ground.

In addition, if towards the end of the season there are some small acreage standing corn fields, we will drive them. Our drives may consist of little as three hunters or as many as 20-25 hunters

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime