I got to disagree with part of the OP's definition. I put just as much planning, scouting,preparation hunting for cows. I have some pretty nice heads hanging on the wall, but I never passed up a legal elk, cow or bull.It took me 21 years to draw a tag in a coveted 25 tag unit in Colorado but I killed bulls or cows every one of these 21years.

If you don't do all these in Colorado there is good chance you will go home empty handed. "They are constantly looking, consumed by maps, overlays of food/water sources, terrain, elevation, and accessible public land…It’s like they have a terminal illness. I think a more accurate description is an addiction. An addiction in pursuit of something special, and the reward in the end for the effort put into hunting the animal". .

I use to tell people I was trophy hunting when I went home with an unpunched tag.

If you took whatever walked by on the last day of the hunt, you are meat hunter no matter how many animals you passed up in the preceding days.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles