Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
It's been lost in all of the "discussion" here. When is the day you get to qualify?

Next week, but I might punt. The kneeling position just ain't working for me with the .300 Weatherby. That's the rifle I specified, because it's the only one I had a load worked up for copper bullets. That was a mistake but can't change it now.

Last weekend I shot using a post but I used the big post (roof support) at the range and just pushed my sticks up against it. I could kneel upright with my back straight and it worked fine, hit the plate every time and absorbed the recoil just fine I was thinking no problem. Then I went back and looked at the video and saw that his post is a short one, too short to use it for a brace if you're kneeling upright. If you notice, he's bent over and leaning pretty far forward, looks like it works well with a suppressed rifle but it doesn't work so well with an unsuppressed magnum. I tried it that way yesterday, didn't cut myself with the scope but came damn close, no thanks.

And I'm just not good enough kneeling upright with sticks and nothing to lean against, I shot that way yesterday and did OK but missed enough that an 8-hour round trip is not worth it. I'll re-load my empties and try again this weekend, see if I can get comfortable enough to guarantee no misses but right now it's not looking good. I'm sure they'll have plenty of others willing to help with their cull.

Dang bud, I was excited about following this. I get it though.