Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Again, the context of the original comment had to do with ammo availability for people who don't reload.

Will rounds like the 7PRC lead to renewed popularity for the 708? Probably not. At least, not for *new* buyers. Because the 7PRC isn't going to spur any new rifles in 708 and it isn't going to spur any increase in factory ammo production in 708. It's going to lead to new rifles and ammo runs in 7PRC. The 6.5cm's popularity didn't revolutionize factory ammo for 6.5x55 or 260...

Now, could the new 7mms be great for bullet availability for guys who already have a 708 and reload for it? Maybe. Depending on the specs for your rifle. I honestly have no idea how a 180 grain bullet would/could work in a 708. (My understanding of the 7PRC is a 180 grain, 7mm projectile at 300WM velocity?) But again, we're talking about a minority of hunters/shooters outside of this forum. (We hardly represent the average rifle owner here...)

Addendum: I think the revolution in good 6mm and 6.5mm bullets will only hurt the 708 for 2 reasons. Folks who used to have reservations about using the smaller round on larger game because they didn't think bullets would hold up are changing their minds. I also think that casual/average shooters are becoming increasingly averse to recoil. To me, the recoil of a 6.5cm and 708 are almost indistinguishable (and frankly, I would also consider my 280 to be borderline negligible)... but I can't tell you how many people I've heard talking about how there's a huge drop off when you go down to 6.5cm or smaller. Probably only a couple ft#s in reality... but then the Creedmoor doesn't do a hell of a lot the Swede won't so we already know that perception can rule the day...
Those who talk about a big “drop off”, 7mm to 6.5mm, need to get out more.

DF