"Looking now, I still want a short action deer round, and the 7mm-08 and 6.5 cred are on that short list. The 6.5 seems a little more recoil friendly and I just prefer that these days. Sure, the 7mm-08 isn't a slapping 30-06, but if I can get the job done with less recoil, then why not.

Are my assumptions off?"

I think they are. I haven't shot a Creedmore but I have shot the 7-08. A Remington Model Seven as I recall. A very pleasant rifle to shoot. It would be a surprise to me, but I doubt the difference in recoil between the two cartridges would be all that noticeable in two matching rifles, say a matched pair of Winchester Featherweights. I will say that after shooting that 7-08, I gave serious thought to buying a rifle chambered to that cartridge. However, common sense got the better of me. You see I have three rifles chambered to the 7x57 that have just the same level of recoil if I handload them using 7-08 data which is perfectly safe in modern rifles. If I use factory ammo, recoil is even less and probably on a par with the 6.5s so popular today. I can run a 150 gr. Nosler Partition at 2880 FPS using RL17 and as if I'm doing an elk hunt it's for a cow, works for me. I quit hunting for "horns" a long time ago and prefer a nice fat cow elk for the dinner table.

PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE