Originally Posted by kaboku68
I beg to differ but Ed Stevenson(RIP) and Ben Stevenson would call BS on the lever action statement. Levers saved Ed in both times he was getting mauled by brown bears. He liked big caliber levers more than any other rifle type because you could get them into action quickly in the brush. There places up Sheep River and on the Gulf of Alaska are about as nasty for weather and general gun conditions as can be imagined. Residents don't put pressure up the Sheep River on the sheep up there because the alder jungle is so bad. There were many guides who used both Model 71s and Winchester 1886s through time. They knew what they were doing. A lot of those old birds were lefties that needed a gun that could work well for them. There are also guides that look at rifles as tools. Go to the store and buy a Ruger Guide Gun in 375 Ruger or find a JM Marlin 1895 in 45-70 with hot loads. There are other guides that will run whatever is accurate and light. A lot of the more savvy guides in the Brooks Range run Kimbers of one sort or another.

Some of very old timers run Pre64s but most of those guys are gone. Many of the newer minted guides in the Alaska Range run custom Rifles Inc. rifles. One of my friends who makes custom rifles is taking a PreWar Model 70 that was originally in 35 Rem but rebored to 35 Whelen as his guide/back up rifle on his bear hunts this Spring.

EXACTLY how many guides "TODAY" in Alaska or Africa carry leveraction rifles......??? HELL, if you desire to jabber about long-ago history, single shot rifles were the latest thing. SORRY, I thought this discussion was fully relevant to today and tomorrow.

And for your information I have built 16 rifles in .458 Win. Mag. for resale. They were originally built on the first production stainless steel actions, which were RUGER M-77. They were born as 7MM Rem. Mag. Once Winchester developed their tooling I shifted to M-70 Stainless actions. It was a long period between the first stainless rifles, till factory built the first stainless .458 Win. Mag. for retail market.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).