Originally Posted by AGL4now
Originally Posted by 1973cb450
I’ll respectfully disagree with this, at least the blanket statement of lever actions not being carried in the field. I understand what you’re saying however, and would say that bolt actions are for the most part going to offer the most versatility.
Of the two rifles I’ve used in the field personally the most one is a lever. I’ve trusted it and take care of it

But would you choose the leaver action, as the only firearm if you were going to be dropped off in wilderness and they would pick you up in three months......??? 90 days, if anything malfunctions, you can repair it. By the way I love lever actions, own several, often carry my M-92 "takedown". But it is a day hike rifle, around the cabin. Not a tool I want guiding on the AK Peninsula, with seven brown bears in camp.

Yes I suppose I would (and have in the past) used it for full guiding seasons AK range and Kodiak. It’s extremely handy and serves great as a close range backup rifle. With skinner sights and the safety delete they’re pretty neat in my opinion.
I guess I’ve never viewed this particular lever (marlin) as any less trustworthy or inferior than the ruger Hawkeye or, my current favorite, large ring husky 9.3x62 in he field. They’re just different and have different qualities that make them more or less appealing for a given situation. That 9.3 is a hell of a rifle. So versatile, it’s awesome. This is more to do with the caliber but that’s not what we’re talking about. Anyways, the positive qualities of a Mauser action bolt gun aren’t lost on me, believe me. I hear what you’re saying, for sure, and am in no way trying to debate the intricacies of the “best”. I think that’s just too subjective and personal. Only reason I chimed in originally was to say I think there are plenty, myself included, who carry a lever gun in some sort of professional environment.