Back in 2006, could walk into a half dozen gunstores and not find 9.3x62 ammo for my cz 550 carbine. Nowadays, even with shortages, I'm seeing way more 9.3 ammo! Really nice to see the gaining popularity of the 9.3x62 here in Alaska.

I've hunted equally with lever guns and bolt guns along rivers and by dog team. Also 3 one-year deployments to Iraq and lots of winter/spring/summer/fall training here in Alaska from 2002-2010.

Probably the most reliable lever gun I've hunted with, was a browning 95.

The most reliable bolt gun Ive hunted with was a cz 550. But did have a bolt-knob unscrew from boat vibrations and bolt knob fell into a creek.

Most reliable military weapon I've seen was the 240b machine gun. Never jammed in Alaskan winter training, never jammed in the desert.

I've seen a surprising amount of various guns failing in one form or another.

Regarding AGL's assertions:
I once swamped a canoe trying to line up a swift chute of water. Front rope wasn't low enough on bow, an tipped canoe towards the swift water. That fkn canoe sank immediately.

The cz 550 was covered in dirty silty water. Pressed the bolt knob button, unscrewed bolt apart and cleaned all the silty water oughtta that thing and was back in action in less than 10 minutes. Purdy sweet!

Another instant, I had jammed that same cz into the gutted cavity of a caribou. Space is super limited in a dog sled. Blood oozed all through the thing. Same deal, unscrewed bolt, took gun in wash basin with me, then set near wood stove to dry. Was ready to go in 30 minutes.

Nowadays I gravitate towards the one-piece bolts on the ruger 77's, after having lost that cz 550 bolt knob. Trigger is easier to clean too, if/when I swamp another boat. Crude fkn things though, always need "tuning/polishing".

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 01/16/23.