Originally Posted by ths
Originally Posted by 1973cb450
Very cool post! Seems right on.
The first rifle I carried guiding was the Hawkeye Alaskan, matte stainless that I switched out the hogue over molded it came with for a sleeker standard Ruger synthetic stock. I liked it pretty well and used it a few years but my goodness did I find that 375 ruger unpleasant to shoot and listen to! !
Like you said as well, I’m on the gun nut side of the spectrum so I’ve enjoyed carrying different rifles afield

Yea, the ol' 375 Ruger does boot. Seems a little worse than the H&H but probably from light rifles and short barrels. As long as you carry more than you shoot it... goes the thinking.

I tried both molded and wood factory stocks, and a McMillian, before going back to the 'Gummy Bear' Houge. The Houge was my least favorite part of the rifle to begin with, but I learned to like it as it definitely reduces the felt recoil for me. And it is tough. I slimed mine down a bit. https://www.americanhunter.org/content/how-to-build-the-ultimate-brown-bear-rifle/

Mine also has a 23" stainless bbl which I find helps with muzzle blast. But most guides I know don't really care - the short barrel is handy, the thing is tough and reliable, and kills stuff dead!

“So magnificently ugly that it was beautiful”… LOL! That’s great. Yea that’s a neat write up. I believe you’re probably correct on the barrel length, the 23” would be nice for blast and noise, but the 20 “ is handy. Always pros and cons I suppose. I do like all those modifications you made that’s pretty cool.
The original butt pad on mine finally started to disintegrate from being used as a trekking pole, ha!
They are pretty bomb proof units