Originally Posted by boomwack
Killed my first deer long ago with a 30-06 with a 180 gr. Round nose core-lokt. A shot from about 25 yards looked like you pushed the deer sideways then stumbled off another 20-ish yards and fell over dead.

Didn't realize what a good thing that big round bullet was for deer or any big game till shooting a few other animals with pointy bullets. I noticed how most the time the critter would manage to travel just a little further or did not react at the shot like that first deer did.

In my .280 the 165 gr. Soft point core lokt is a favorite load. This load just slaps deer down fast consistently complete with nice large exit every time.

Shot a 200 lb black bear with that load broadside around 50 yards, it simply just fell over dead, not a twitch. Only bone hit was a rib in and two rib on the exit. Yet to have another bear done in that fast with the same hit, that's including A 338 win mag and a 45-70 on other bears.

To bad the round nose seems to be vanishing....

User ID checks out, LOL.

I'm a fan of RN bullets. I can see why those who hunt wide open spaces with long shots choose spitzers, but RNs work well in excess of the range woods and thick area hunting requires in the right cartridges.