Originally Posted by Muddly
I've come to prefer round noses. I've taken 1 deer at 200 yards, 150 grain PMC factory loaded .30-30, one at 150 yards, that with a muzzleloader and a 250 grain .45 caliber Hornady XTP.
The balance of my 54 deer have all been at 100 yards, or less. My 9 pointer this year, dropped to a 200 grain round nose Core Lokt, 7 feet from the muzzle of my .35 Remington.
I find no advantage to spitzers for my kind of hunting. Round noses tend to be kinda soft and make gooey chests even at modest velocities.

the area i hunt, 60 yards is a long shot. i shot a 8pt with my Ruger #1 in 270 Winchester with 130gr Nosler BT and IMR4320 at 12 feet. it went into the buck shoulder, fragmented and i made lung soup with chunks of heart. it ran about 25ish yards and fell over. i think that was the last time i used the Ruger.

i use cast FN bullets. in my 35/30-30 (JES Reboring) it is a 200gr RCBS FNGC and 2400/tuft of Dacron that goes 1726fps. it is a killer on deer. after the shot, they will jog about 15 - 25 yards, stop and look around and then fall. the deer don't run away after the shot, they jog. on the other hand, i use a 30-40 Krag and 173gr Ranch Dog (looks like a wide flat nose) and H4198 that goes 1930fps and every deer that i and my son have shot at, they go straight down. i hunt for meat, not antler size. i never liked throwing away parts of deer. i have been going behind the shoulder shots and with cast bullets, you be able to eat up to the hole(s). there is no bloodshot meat or chunks of bone like i used to have using jacketed bullets. also using cast, i never recover the bullet on deer. it will exit the deer and go off on its own. smirk

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".