Originally Posted by bluefish
There is magic in a 220 grain rn from an 06.

Last deer I took with one of those was a good sized buck in northern Wisconsin.. It was about 300 yds across a big marsh, at the end of a small lake..

I had to walk about a mile around the swamp to get to where it was shot... when I found it, it only had a small entrance hole on one side, just behind the heart, and a small exit hole on the off side.. with about 5 or 6 corn kernels laying in the blood...

Evidently he had dropped immediately at the shot... there would not have been a blood trail..and there was no snow on the ground to help track him anyway...

Went and got my stuff to gut him.. even tho he had only a small entrance hole from the 220 gr RN and a small exit hole on the other side, when he was cut open, his chest cavity looked as if I had stirred it with a chain saw...lung were like a big bowl of spaghetti, did the same to the top of the liver, cut the esophagus also in half... spleen and pancreas didn't look too hot either...

the deer cleaned out at 250 pounds at the check station weight scale...5 or 6 y/o northern Wisconsin buck...

Round noses work! those old 220 grain RN are bad ass, supposedly they don't hit with anything more than 1300 ft pounds at 300 yds...
but that .330 sectional density, sure can plow thru a lot of deer anatomy at 300 yds and beyond.

I've also taken deer in 6mm/ 243 with the Hornady 100 gr RN and the Sierra 6mm SMP both of days long gone by...

I've got a box or two of the Hornady 100 RN still around and about 4 unopened boxes of the Sierra 100 Gr SMP...

whatr I wish I had a ton of, but have never used... the old Hornady 129 and 140 gr Round Noses in 6.5 mm....I have taken several deer with the old Sierra and Hornady 160 gr RNs... same with the 154 and 175 gr RNs in 7 mm... in 7 x 57....

Not a round nose, but don't take the old Speer 150 gr FN for granted... it works as good as any round nose...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez