Originally Posted by Seafire
Round nose bullets just plain work....

A lot of old timers used them in our youth, because they knew they worked.... back in the days where most hunting was not done at 500 yds.
People got closer...

Nowadays you're not a Real Stud, unless all the game you shoot is at 500 to 1000 yds or more...

Hunt use to be done to put meat in the freezer... Nowadays its to put bragging pictures on the internet and have arguments with everyone else on how better you are than them...

They are clueless that there are many more than aren't really impressed with all their bragging... no one who's been around here for a while, need to try and guess who the usual suspects are...

Anyone can shoot something at 50 yds and then put a sign in front of the dead animal that says 971 yds....and then post pics of it on the internet..
and start insulting anyone who questions it...

I don't compete with everyone else in who's the greatest hunter and shooter contest. I go out and if I bring home something... Great.
If I don't, I enjoy the fact of being able to go out in the field for the day, which beats sitting at anchor on the home front and making the wife happy that I am out raking leaves, mowing the lawn, fixing her car etc.

Life doesn't have to be as hard as some of the campfire clown bragging squad make it...

A good hit on an animal, a round nose has never ever failed me to perform... regardless of distance... fancy dancy bullets have failed me...
I look for something that does what a round nose does.. perform... NOT look for something that is expensive so I can brag to everyone on the internet on how I use bullets that are expensive..

After reading the optics arguments that are going on the last couple of days.... I have a new Arkin scope coming in a few days from cameraland... but I'll let the campfire in on a little secret... in my life time, I've taken more deer with a Tasco or low end Bushnell and Leupold VX 2, than all these fancier scopes.... I enjoy the features on these scope types, they are handy over at the range at distance, when the target isn't moving... in the field where the animal is moving...an old Tasco or Leupold is handier and quicker...

Being able to set up and have a nice rest... its not that hard to be able to shoot an unknowing animal at 600 yds, meandering along...
What do people want? To take down something or have a bragging rights contest on the internet for the next 6 weeks?

I'd wager there are a lot more folks like me, than the small number of braggards, and the groupies that follow them, you'll find on any internet site.
This one included....

In growing up, by junior high, I figured out that those that have to brag about everything and 'how good they are'.. are usually people who are covering up something they don't want others to know.... from how insecure they really are...to trying to cover up on having a ridiculously short dick.
Braggards always have something they are trying to cover up, by drawing attention away from their negatives in life... guys with the big 1 ton pickups, with the big lift and the big tires are another example...

How many game animals are shot at 1000 yrds each season, with someone who has a $3000 rifie with a $2000 scope on top vs the number taken with a 30/30 and a 4 power Tasco or Bushnell on top? I'd say a whole lot more of the latter than of the former...

Round Nose bullets WORK, but sadly spendier bullets SELL... in the end tho, either one accomplishes the same thing...

As long as they keep schidt honest, I could care less. I agree with you though, why do they always want to brag about the antlers they got? You can't eat the antlers. I'll shoot a spike bull or cow every chance I get, especially in the very low hunter's success rate area I hunt.

I've been playing with a new 30-30 rifle and that thing seems to like round nosed bullets well enough. I need to get a new/smaller front sight insert, or I'd post some pics of how it shoots. Not bragging of course. If guys think honest targets are bragging, they can kiss my azz.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA