Originally Posted by ctsmith
Careful Jud. Don't let him get the thread off topic. No matter the distraction the facts are:

Randy was compensated for his platform to promote deer hunting in AZ.

Randy made certain that the exact unit and area he was hunting was easily identified.

OTC archery hunts in the area were canceled in subsequent years because of increase in harvest rates.

Zero point rifle units in the area are now 1 - 2 point draws.

OK, guys, I'm an outsider here - I don't bowhunt and I've never hunted in Arizona - but I think you're missing the picture here.

Let's take your points one at a time: Randy was HIRED to promote deer hunting in Arizona by a state agency. That he was chosen was a wise decision, because obviously, dry lectures by game biologists were not doing the job. They needed someone with name recognition and hopefully, someone who carried a degree of trust by potential viewers. If he were not "compensated", as you put it, I doubt he would have done it - making those hunting videos is his business!

Second point: he made sure the unit and area were easily identified. I can see your point - If I had been hunting there for years, I wouldn't want anyone telling the world that this was a great place to hunt if you wanted to fill your tags. On the other hand, the whole point of creating the video was precisely to say, "This is a great place to hunt if you want to fill your tags!"

Third point: hunts were cancelled in subsequent years because of increase in harvest rates. Well, I guess that's what happens when you successfully "promote deer hunting in AZ". But that was, in fact, the goal.

Fourth point: some rifle units now require more points to draw. See previous comment.

All I'm saying here is, don't act all upset because someone who does something successfully is paid to do what he does well. It's like telling a fishing guide not to make a video showing how good the fishing is on the Snake River, just because you happen to live in Jackson Hole.

Correct me if I'm wrong and I won't take offense - I'm an outside observer and have no skin in the game.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke