And I am saying some here are overly paranoid about an issue that is of only somewhat concern and caution.Not dismissive, certainly. You and others come across as a zealot.

I've killed 5 or 6 overly aggressive dogs for cause, and not one of them had pit in them. Not a pit or pit mix of my acquaintance has ever been a problem. In my experience. Which is what I live by, at my age. Not statistics, which may be the 4th great lie. I use MY judgement,not based on web statistics, but based on MY experience. YMMV

Perhaps I live in a better environment (or naive? ) than you do. Or have less reliance on the web...

A neighbor a half mile down the road has two pits. Jack and Jill. When we walk by Jill always comes out to make friendly/for a pet. At first my Honey HalfLab tried to bully her. After 5 or 6 times, Jill was fed up, knocked Honey down and stood on her. No hackles, no teeth, just "enough of this chit!" No prob. Jack was always on a chain and went bonkers when we walked by.

One day he wasn't.

A half-ounce off the trigger, he slammed to a halt 5 feet from Honey and wagged his tail.

I have no problem with that.

At 3 feet...

I think we are on the same page now, Jack and i. I could be wrong, but I've got the difference.

Last edited by las; 12/25/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.