Originally Posted by JPro
Horrible ordeal that never should have happened. The dogs should have been shot immediately upon attacking that older gentleman.

My Pit Bull experience is limited to one dog that I got at roughly a year old from the local dog pound after her pics popped up on my Facebook feed. Not sure of her breeding but there is a lot of APBT there.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

She was about 37-38lbs and friendly, but not house-trained or leash-trained, so who knows her background or what she'd been through. She immediately went after our big dogs at my house, bluffing the brindle one but the big white dog (alpha) put her in her place and the pecking order was established. Of the last half-dozen or so dogs I've had, she's the best with people. No growling at folks, ever. Happy to see anybody or go out in public on a leash. You can pin her down and play hard with her, but she's gentle in return. Also one of the most intelligent and perceptive dogs I've ever had. She understands very well and learns fast. Very "clingy" dog breed that really wants to be with you 24/7. Does not do well by herself.

But..... she's a different dog with most types of other animals. Hates a deer or a hog. I'd probably not put her around any livestock without watching her like a hawk. The drive to engage is there 100%. Even though this dog is great with people, I'd not want a 70+lb version of her, just because she would likely be difficult to handle under stress. I have family members that also have smaller Pit Bull terriers and they've had great experiences, but they are house dogs that they spend a ton of time with and treat well, not neglected yard dogs looking for something to bite. Just my two cents on my limited amount of time with the breed. If you can't or won't do right by them, they are not the breed for you. Even then, you have to know what you are working with.

looks like some black mouth cur in the mix.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter