Originally Posted by Hunterapp
Originally Posted by okie john
Of these, the .223 and the 7.62x39. Of the ones you didn't list, the 308 with reduced loads using H4895.

How much have you backed off on the 308 loads w 4895 & what bullet have you favored?

You can cut charges to 60% of max. More information at https://hodgdonpowderco.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/h4895-reduced-rifle-loads-2.pdf

Getting 30-30 speeds with 165-grain Remington CoreLokts and 170-grain Speer flat points is pretty easy. I've tested 36.5 grains in four rifles with 22" barrels and two rifles with 20" barrels. 2,200-2,250 is common about right for the 22" barrels and about 2,150 for the shorter barrels. I don't think that the CoreLokt would expand at speeds much slower than that, so I only use it for practice. I don't think that the Speer will hold together at speeds much faster than that, so that's as hard as I push it.

Accuracy is usually 1-1.5 MOA, but was much better in a couple of rifles.

All of the rifles that I tried were set up for use full-power loads, so they have modern stocks with good recoil pads. The lightest of them weighs about 7.5 pounds, so recoil was pretty mild with these loads.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.