Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by JakeM78
250 Savage, yeah I'm that guy.

I have a Remington 700 Classic so chambered. Even with full power loads recoil is quite mild. It's a favorite of mine.

mathman;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope your part of the world is getting tolerable weather and you're well.

As with many of us I'm sure, there is a list of "my goodness why didn't I buy that one" regarding firearms or rifles in particular.

A now long passed on shooting and handloading mentor and friend did a bit of rifle trading and in so doing he had a few of the Remington Classic 700s come and go.

My late father had a Savage 99 in .250 for a few years which he used on a couple local Saskatchewan whitetail, but mostly as a moose rifle, so the chambering held some nostalgia for me and thus it piqued my interest when buddy came home from somewhere with a 700 Classic in that chambering.

He was not a young man anymore and had some health issues so I'd meet him at the local range and would shoot some of his rifles on days when he felt his abilities were in question and so it was that I got to shoot that gem a couple times.

One memorable occasion mathman, shooting at 100yds, I'd put the first 4 shots into a single ragged .257" hole... cool

Of course my buddy Willy, who was a colorful sort to say the least and is looking through the spotter beside me said something like, "Holy S...t Dwayne, lookit that group. Don't choke on the 5th shot!".... laugh

Well of course I did mathman, and to my eternal chagrin I didn't take the target because it was the very best group I've ever shot with a sporter weight rifle at 100yds, but #5 did enlarge the group to about 7/16" so still pretty decent but not the Holy Grail "One Holer" that we'd been hoping for.

When Willy decided to sell it, he did give me first option, but something in the house or within our young family required the money spent there and that as they say was that.

As a bit of a post script however, when our youngest daughter was getting into hunting, Willy sold us a 722 action with a .250AI 40° chambering - Canadian made gain twist SS barrel - that was another wonderfully accurate and very nice to shoot rifle.

Somehow it seemed to me it was a bit milder than a .243 Win with a similar barrel length, but as I never took a sound meter out and checked side by side with the .250AI, that's only subjective guessing on my part.

Thanks for the memories you twigged this morning sir, I'd not have had that otherwise.

All the best.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 04/12/24. Reason: better wording?

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"