Originally Posted by Coton
My boy shot his first deer with a 223. It was a skipper. He aimed a little high and spined it but it dropped and never went another step. It's not ideal for deer but we had practiced a lot and had good deer rated ammo. I have some family member that also used the 223 for there young ones with excellent success. I am currently considering a Howa mini action in 6.5 Grendel. I just ordered a box of the 6.5mm 85gr Hammer bullets. I can use them in my .260 I don't buy a Grendel. What is holding me back is lack of spare mags for the Howa Mini in that cartridge.

Try a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Grendel instead. I have the Howa Mini in 223, but I don't care for the mag. I also didn't care for the mag that the Ruger Came with, but its an AR mag, unlike the Howa. Tried looking for a Mag for the Ruger, that was polymer, but the factory told me they didn't make any. No one seemed to carry a Polymer mag listed for the 6.5 Grendal chambering.

A Marine vet friend at the range tossed me one of his polymer mags and told me to see if that worked. It worked perfectly right off the bat. I left and went over to Sportsman's Warehouse and bought 5 polymer mags for an AR for $10 each on sale. Ruger's metal mag sucks. An aftermarket polymer mag that will fit an AR works just fine with the 6.5 Grendal rounds.
The two deer I have taken ( we're only allowed ONE a season in Oregon ) were with a 129 SP Hornady and the other with a 140 grain Speer SP. One at a little over 100yds and the other right about 200 yds.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez