Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
If there were nothing but very responsible Pit owners, we'd see far fewer attacks. They'd still attack more than any other breed by a wide margin though. Unfortunately the breed attracts trailer trash type owners. The combination compounds issues.

Pit bulls are normally whatever their owners train them to be, at least in my experience.
Same with rottweilers and many German Shepards. Seems it is in their instinct to make their owners happy.

Dogs are pretty good at reading people and their personalities also. Lady one street over has Dutch Shepards. She trains them. Guess they are suppose to be very aggressive dogs. First time I was around them, she has 3, I just got on my knee, and stuck my hand out. They came over and sniffed my hand, and then were like house cats on my putting their heads under my outstretched hand to be petted. Guess they sensed I love most dogs... In fact I normally say I have more use for most dogs than I do most people.

All three of her dogs are former military or police dogs.

Still believe most dogs are whatever they owners make them to be.

when I was about 14, I had a paper route on the military base we lived on ( Pope AFB, N.C.). I use to carry table scraps in a pouch from dinner the night before. If I had to deal with an aggressive dog, for owners who always had to have their paper put on the front porch, and out of the rain, if it happened to rain. I'd get down on a knee and offer them a piece of meat scrap. Several times of that, they would always be waiting for me, with tails wagging, because I fed them.

Had one customer who was a black guy, who didn't like white folks much. He had a husky/ shepard cross, that was pretty aggressive. So I brought it a bone every day. IN a week, it was always happy to see me. The black guy came home one afternoon early and saw me petting his dog and freaked out. Next day, that dog was gone, and he had another pretty unfriendly dog chained to his front door step. Well the dog bone worked for him also... and within a week, that dog was happy to see me every day also.

I keep dog treats on the front porch of the house here and feed most of the dogs, that the owners take for a walk down our very unbusy street. They see me and they are always wagging their tail, ready for something to eat.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez