Originally Posted by NH K9
Originally Posted by jsgwoodsman
I’ve seen dogs do enough in my time to realize you shouldn’t trust ANY of them unless you know them well and know their training. And I LOVE dogs.

This, with the addendum that if I know the owner and his/her training methods and general habits with dogs, I'll be more likely to be relaxed at the outset.

I love GSDs.
I have a history with GSDs in a working capacity.
I currently have a yellow lab, and won't have another GSD until I retire. If I can't provide the time for proper training, exercise, and socialization....I don't have any business keeping the breed as a companion.

Needless to say, I'm looking forward to retirement.

GSD’s can be an incredible dog…
They do need proper rearing and consistent guidance in my opinion. My wife’s parents had one (an otherwise stellar dog) before she was born. Her father walked in on the German growling at her with his teeth bared and shoulder hair raised (she was about 18 months old!). That one departed shortly there after as well. I knew a 140 pound German that was a gentle giant, and a 60 pound German that was a nipper.

I find dogs’ behavior is EXTREMELY situational, and relies heavily on their raising. Certain breeds have proven to be higher risk than others. I suspect a part of that is genetics and a part is due to the typical demographic of owners.