As a youth, I’ve been chased and bitten by a 3 legged Rottweiler (raised by a VERY rough family), a very large Rottweiler breeding male that got out of his kennel somehow and greeted me at a friends house when I showed up on my atv - not so much raised but used as a breeder by a single mom that had no authority over him at all, and a Springer Spaniel that was our family dog for years but got hit by a car and started acting very strangely right up til he bit my face as a child and my father “rehomed” him.

I’ve been around a LOT of dogs my entire life. I have always felt I could read dogs fairly well. That said, my 12 yo boy had his face, head, and neck chewed on by a great pyranise owned by another single woman who admitted after the fact that she had such little control over that dog that she would have a friend take him regularly to “give her a break”.

That dog was docile before and after… even after chewing on my boys head for about 20-30 seconds - he sat beside him and wagged his tail. I wasn’t there when it happened, otherwise the dog would have been immediately put down.

I’ve seen dogs do enough in my time to realize you shouldn’t trust ANY of them unless you know them well and know their training. And I LOVE dogs.

I’ve known several pits and never had an easy or trusting feeling around any of them - and they were all VERY well trained and behaved. One female (likely the second or third best trained dog I’ve even been around) was docile and sweet and playful. I would occasionally catch her literally side eyeing me and when I’d return the gaze, she’d stand up with her head down. Presenting in a way that I’ve always taken as “ready”.

We’re on chocolate lab number 4 and they are fantastic animals… I would never turn my back on a pit.