I've been handling insurance claims for over 30 years. For the last several years, I have handled property liability claims exclusively. Here's my perspective:

Dog bite claims are the the single most common liability claim made under a homeowners or renters policy.

Bully breeds (Pit Bulls, Staffordshire Terriers, etc) account for the largest share of dog bite claims, and produce the most serious injuries. German Shepherds are second in frequency, and nearly equal in severity. Other breeds such as Cane Corsos, Mastiffs, and Catahoula Leopard Dogs produce a disproportionate number of injuiry claims. Of the smaller breeds, Australian Shepherds are notorious ankle biters and produce a lot of claims by people bitten while jogging or riding bikes. Their bites can be quite severe.

Labs, Golden Retrievers and Collies may bite, but the number of claims people make as a result are negligible. If I handle the rare claim for a bite from a Lab, it's almost always a "Lab mix." When I ask what it's mixed with, I'm almost always told "maybe a terrier of some kind."

The most frequent excuse when an insured's dog gets out is about equal shares of: a) "my kid left the door/gate open", and 2) "the dog slipped out when I was taking a package from the Amazon guy." But I am also amazed at the number of people that simply cannot control their leashed dog. I've seen claims where women and children were literally dragged by their dog as it pulls to attack another dog or person. Others willfully let their dog run at large.

The most frequent comment about the severity of the injury by the dog owner is "it was just a nip." Or "he was just playing." Many dog owners are simply unwilling to confront the fact that their dog just tore someone up. That comment is almost always followed by, "I want to fight this, it wasn't that bad."

Here's the reality: If your dog bites someone, unless that person was actually trespassing or provoking your dog, you will be 100% liable in states with strict liability laws, and there's a lot of those states. If your conduct was egregious or reckless, and that conduct allowed the attack or bite to occur, you may be liable for punitive damages, and punitive damages are usually not covered by your insurance policy. In states without strict liability laws, you will likely be liable if there was a leash law you violated - such as your dog running at large. "One Bite Rules" in states can be overcome if you had ANY notice of any prior aggression or bites. Most juries are not going to stiff a bite victim.

If your dog bites someone, no matter how "sweet" it is, you are now in possession of a dog that bites. You will likely lose your homeowners or renters insurance. Many insurers do not want to insure a home that houses a dog that has bitten.

Lesson - control your dog.