the double tap ammo would be my choice, if you don,t handload, something similar in a handload will be fine.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/ca...;osCsid=8d61416f72c036663971544f144cdb5c

15.5 grains of H110 under a 158 grain bullet packs a decent wallop if you shoot accurately, but a 357 mag is hardly a stopping rifle if the placements off from the ideal.
MY B.I.L uses a 357 marlin carbine for deer hunting, its fine for that, at ranges under 70-100 yards when you place shots well, but its not my first choice for defending and repelling borders at bayonette ranges, ID suggest a marlin or BROWNING BLR in 450 marlin or 45/70 calibers loaded with 405 remington, or 400 hard cast bullets pushed to 1600-1700fps, or a good slug loaded 12 ga, for that application, the cost of an EFFECTIVE stopping rifle, or slug gun, should the need arrize will look rediculusly low compared to the PERSONAL COST if you fail to stop a totally pissed off bear. dropping a pissed off aggresive bear 3 feet outside your tent at 3 am,rather than 3 feet inside your tent makes it worth the cost...think it thru!! theres a couple campers killed every few years, chances are low but hardly non-existant, remember having the bear die from wounds is of little value if he gets to your butt for a few seconds before he surcomes....killing is not the main object ,it stopping him instantly,and doing massive injury thats the object, and shot placement may be less than ideal, if your shooting at a fast approaching target from your sleeping bag, in the dark

Last edited by 340mag; 07/17/08.