Interesting thread. Seems to me that few people here understand the dramatic difference between the performance of a 357 in a 4" handgun vs a carbine. A Carbine is where the round comes into it's own. I have to concure with the people that understand it's probably not the perfect round, but it's certainly not a dog when loaded with the proper ammo. Personally if that's what I was going to carry it would be with the Federal Premium 180 gr cast core bullets. Speed is only a partial part of the equation here but speed by itself doesn't result in penetration. A good bullet is more important when it comes to performance. I think I would prefer carrying a 44 Mag carbine or the 30-30 but I wouldn't feel unarmed as it were and I don't go into the bush with out a firearm. I'm hard pressed to think that People here believe that Phil Shoemaker believed that carrying a 357 would work for him but not for other people is really his point. Phil is a super guide and it certainly helps to understand bears but we are also talking grizzlys and black bears. If as you say the average black bear is under 200 # he's not superman or bullet proof.
Next there is a big difference in grizzlys and black bears in the way the approach people. Most black bear issues aren't high velocity attacks. They are more likely to be along the line of a bear that won't leave and is looking for an opportunity to take you down. No doubt in my mind I'd rather carry a 357 Mag Carbine with 180 grain Hard cast bullets than nothing at all. You must be a pretty assured woodsman.
Now if I had to go buy something to carry I'd go with a 44 Mag, 30-30 or 35 Rem but I'm glad to see you are taking something.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain