Trying to show that someone about got killed, despite toting cannons. Agree a 700 not needed, as I said before your post, in mine, a 45/70 or 350 mag would be more comforting. Fact is, one never wants to be attacked, but whatever it is, you better aim true, and have bullets that penetrate.

Years back when hi-vel was new and in vogue read about a Leopard or Lion attack in Africa, hunter was killed as his 280 Ross bullet blew up, so PROPER loads + PROPER shot placement count.

Foot pounds matter, and velocity, but do not tell the whole story. Personally, a 338/06 in a 20" barrel, Sako Pre-Garcia action would give me 5 rounds of potent medicine w/250 Nosler partitions. THAT would be my pick, strong controllable package for ME, and that ME is a variable for all. Recoil tolerance is not the same for all, and I contend that a round must be chosen that is shootable by the individual, as well as adequate. True, not great abundance or surplus of 'power' on tap with a 357 rifle, but many owners tell that it is nigh identical to a 30/30 in performance, esp. at closer distances. I would be interested in seeing what a 170 30/30 does vs a 180 hardcast 357 Rifle load, re: penetration etc.

Now how many bears do you suppose have fallen to 30/30s since 1895?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30-30_Winchester

Characteristics and use
The .30-30 is considered by many to be the "entry-class" for modern deer cartridges. While it will take deer- and black bear-sized game, it is limited in effective range to approximately 200 yards (183 m) for that purpose. It is common to define the characteristics of similar cartridges as being in ".30-30 class" when describing their effectiveness.

I stand that at ranges up to 100 yds, a properly loaded 357 rifle will match a 30/30 for killing power. If I am wrong, it must be shot placement IMHO. Ideal, no, but try arguing with the multitude of hunters who have fallen moose, elk and bear with 30/30s .....many many of them.

Will I choose one for bear country? Not if I had the opportunity to choose another rifle. If I was roaming the country and a 357 was what I had on hand, and a bear attacked would I hesitate to unload a lever 357 on it? Not for a second. At that point it's me or him......just don't expect the same results w/light HP bullets that will not penetrate as a heavy hardcast will.

I think Brian Pearce was illustrating the upper limits of what it can do, and has done when called to action, which was/is much more than many might give the 357 rifle performance credit for IMHO.