Well Stetson, I guess the Truth is all dependent upon the user, and the results.

I don't believe all I read, nor on crack or drinking etc. I have done alot of reading and many people compare top 357 rifle loads to 30/30 factory loads. Long ago using another persons 30/30 with a steel buttplate, I found it uncomfortable to fire to say the least. That same round I loved in my TC 10" w/Pachmayr grips, even shot a group w/factory 150 corelokts that I will swear to must have measured like 1/4" C-t-C at 50 yds with 2x scope.

MY gun, w/Peep sights wadded up MANY bullets around 1" at 50 yds with my loads, so I have no doubt many/most Marlins will group 1.5-3" groups consistently....if the shooter is up to it.

I won't argue that a 357 Mag in pistol or rifle is ideal or preferred if one had to defend themselves against a Black Bear, but if one has calm nerves and time to fire a few well placed shots, I have confidence, even though you don't that I would be ok. Maybe I am wrong. The only way we will know is if I someday were to be in that situation, and odds are I will be carrying a rifle in a larger cartridge.

Its more for discussion purposes, but I get a laugh out of how much gun some use to hunt deer, and other game at common ranges somehow feeling inadept with lesser rounds.

Marksmanship w/bullets that penetrate vitals, preferably with expansion. Barnes 140 X bullet in 357 might be a hard one to beat in a situation like the hypothetical one discussed, but I'd be content as well with Buffalo Bore Hardcast loads.

Stetson, btw, years back, I shot a 4" 629 at the range one day, my shooting buddy had a few milk jugs with water, I asked if I could try some. At 100 yds, my 3rd shot offhand hit/exploded the jug using a 200 Nosler 44 cal. w/4grains under max load. Then I tried at 150 yds, my first shot exploded that jug.

With my Marlin, when I first got it using open sights, at 100 thru 150 yds, I was exploding 2 liter coke bottles and milk jugs filled with water, about 7 out of 10 shots sometimes more often, OFFHAND.

I am no expert, but many peers have said I do pretty good. The buddy above called me the following week asking what I was using, 'a 6" 629?' and I said, NO, a 4". His next comment, leave the rifles at home, as I shot better than many guys do with rifles.

SO, what I am saying is we all have different comfort levels, and confidence that comes with range time, that usually increases hit ratios, allow one to start forgetting foot pounds and velocity so much, and focus on hitting what you shoot at.

I have no doubt on the post I found, it was one of many I found googling 30/30 loads vs. 357 rifle loads. There are those with the time and ambition to spend lots of time getting to know their weapon of choice.

A rifle zero'd at 100, IIRC, drops about 10" at 200 in a 357 rifle.

That is not much different than a say 30/06, zero'd at 200, dropping at 300.

Hitting targets at 200 is not a chip shot, but not very difficult either when you get the drop. MY EXPERIENCE puts my confidence level to 150, as the drop gets more severe at 200 no doubt, but it is not that difficult. Try it sometimes.

I shot a 1.25" 3 shot group (two cutting same hole) checking my 357 zero last week, using a baby 2.5x Leupold, at 70 paces, off the top of my car, over a boot laying on it's side for a front rest. Nothing special, and not bad for a gun with an admittingly heavy factory trigger.

I'll continue hunting and killing deer with my 357 which is what I got it for, as well as for the 'fun factor' as maybe you should see what you're missing and try one! It is a combo that is surprisingly deadly on deer sized game, w/o the bark and recoil of larger rounds, nor the meat destruction.

On crack, you're too funny my friend! LMAO...