Thanks Stetson,

You may notice my post directly above yours (specifically last 2 sentences), not advocating, and certainly not as a defense round, but sometimes, when people get in tight corners, and use what they have.....it works. Can one put themselves at higher risk with a smaller gun as a choice? Sure. Up to the individual as to how or if they arm themselves with more 'insurance' but I do not disagree that there are better rounds.

Would I rather a 357 than a 22 handgun for defense against criminals? SURE, but would I want to go up against someone who can pump 10 shots into center mass in 2-3 seconds.....nada.

The least anyone can do is have proper loaded ammo, regardless of whatever they use. Maybe your last sentence could also say 'best choice' as it is a crap shoot and I am not sure any cartridge has a GUARANTEE to stop any dangerous animal from killing you.

Watch this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Mq-5P-ebc

Now I'd be willing to bet these guys, MULTIPLE hunters/guns, lead flying.....were using big bore elephant class rounds. Their carrying such rifles perhaps gave them too much confidence.....damn near costs someone their life.

Egotistical hunters carrying large guns and are disillusioned into thinking they are guaranteed safe need to be humbled, PRIOR to an event like above. I do believe sometimes hunters have SO much gun, that they cannot shoot well and control them and would be better off with a gun they can handle better, and place their shots on the mark, as a miss....is just that.

I am not sure any reasonable hunter would think they were over-armed with a 357 in bear country, nor would search one out. Just pointing out that one can get killed no matter what they carry.....especially if operating under wrong perception of safety.

Your post is not w/o merit, but I want you to understand what I was conveying and that we are not so far off as to your perception that might have alluded you to believe.

I respect the OP wanting to hedge bets with ammo that has the best chance for penetrating and killing should he get in a jam, realizing his choice may not be viewed as the best in caliber.