Castnblast, my experience with black bear is limited to two hunts in Ontario, so take it for what it�s worth. As I stated, the 357 wouldn�t be my first choice, but given your circumstances, it sure beats a pointed stick.

My only real caution would be your bullet selection. When I took my 45 last year I made a mistake in thinking I needed the heaviest bullet I could find. I tried to do too much with what I had. The end result was a bullet that didn�t expand and a bear that got away. Obviously, my bullet placement wasn�t what I thought it was, but to this day I still think I hit that bear right where I wanted. I checked the zero on the scope the next day and everything was fine. That�s why I�d recommend going with a bullet 158gr or lighter. I truly feel a lighter bullet traveling faster has the best chance for success.

Quickly consulting some reloading info here is a comparison. A 158gr Hornady XTP loaded with 19.0 gr of Lil�gun has a muzzle velocity of 1971 fps out of a 20� Marlin 1894. Now, out of a 20� 30-30 a 150gr Barnes with 34gr of w748 has a muzzle velocity of 2168. That�s almost apples to apples. Further research will probably show the 30-30 more favorable, but this is what I could find in five minutes. I would think many wouldn�t have a problem using a 30-30 on black bear. Now, I�m not saying a 357 is a 30-30, but with some careful reloading and testing, you can get close.

If you plan to start pushing the limits with the 357, I would suggest you purchase the Redding profile crimp die. It gives a nice roll crimp which I think is needed on hotter loads.

Are you also in the mining industry? Take into account this is coming from a MIN(ing)ENG(inee)R.

As always, that�s just my opinion and I could be wrong.