Now a 35 Rem would surely give a noticeable difference in power, and then a 358, and a 350, and Whelen, and so on.

Yes, a 35 would be better, but ME, I've like handling the 450 Marlins back when they came out- at my gunshop, the 45/70s would do the same, close range, big heavy bullets, fast repeat shots, controlled, quick handling gun, open/peep sights, yep much better...than a 30-30 or 35 Rem I'd suppose.

I'd truly have to see ballistic media test results with 30/30 loads, vs heavy 357 loads. Stetson I believed mentioned Buffalo Bore ammo coming out-heavy, for 3030 so if so, that surely would win out, but if you look at heavy bullets loaded up for 357s, vs the jacketed 150/170s, I would be very interested in seeing how they hold up, deep they penetrate, and what wound channel looks like, before making a decision.

Suffice to say again, not advocating it be THE choice, but if it was what is in hand, with shot placement and good bullets-can do the deed.. however - without good shooting by a cool nerved shooter, results could be bad, in an unlikely albeit potentially dangerous black bear defense scenario no matter what one shoots. In that case, a 12 gauge might be best!