"Now how many bears do you suppose have fallen to 30/30s since 1895"

That's pretty much a totally moot point. I'm sure we all realize that much game has been taken with lesser cartridges in years prior, BP before that, bow and arrow before that etc.
The real question that needs to be asked is how many bears have succesfully fallen to the 357 in SELF DEFENSE not when one is taking the time for a well placed shot. Big difference. So the whole side bar about bullet construction, shot placement etc is valid but doesn't replace the simple fact that in self defense mode HP counts! As your article states the 30-30 is considered entry level and a 357 is a lesser cartridge when BOTH are loaded to their maximum capacity, for bear so to speak.
But hey that's just my .02 adjusted for inflation. But then I don't put much stock in a web site like Wiki that rates a 30-30 as a 200 yard gun. wink
I will conceed the 357 would be preferable to throwing rocks or even a 22. Still I'd even take the 30-30 over the 357. That's the beauty of having choices. You just use what ever trips yer trigger.