No long range weapon correct, BC is not high either, I have other rifles, my limit though is 400 under ideal conditions, right rifle, perfect rest, no wind, KNOWN range, etc. Killed one deer that far with a 6mmBR, a few others around 250/275yd w/270 and 6.5x55, but most shots under 200, in fact likely 80% under 100yds. I like long range shooting, and it's a rush taking one far, but the thrill of having game up close gives me the biggest thrill. The challenge of being limited by a weapon useful at close ranges was why I got the 357. To add an element of challenge I guess you could say. Finding I may be using it alot more on stands I hunt in the woods at my buddy's place, as well as a climber. May be pulling the scope back off and force myself to use Irons. Some day I am going to dust off my long bow under the bed if my brother would ever assemble my arrows.

I imagine that one experience with that 30/30 long ago was with a metal buttplate that was the main culprit. I did not want to shoot it again, but being a 20 year old w/little HP rifle experience under my belt, I was surprised. I was myself using a 7mag as I got a deal at a gunshow for a 700 adl for $200, but I had wanted a 270. I proceeded to load down for deer to 280 levels. Later sold it, gun too heavy, recoil/blast also for what I needed....over the years used many guns/calibers, etc. but shot placement was/has been the determining factor. Knowing what a cartridge/load WILL do and won't do, makes one use discipline in if/when and where to aim when hunting. The day I shot the 400yd deer, I double lunged it broadside w/105 amax and it died in 25 yds from hit. Seconds earlier had a deer at 200yd standing still facing away from me, so I shot the backbone as it was dead on zero at the range, and I know I had little penetration at the higher impact speed up close with a frangible bullet. Dropped right there, and bullet did as I figured, completely vaporized on backbone.

You know what amazes me Stetson, not the bow and arrow, but the one that an indian woman shot with a single shot 22 rifle, had one bullet, in a berry patch and Griz smelled her and stood up, she squatted, fearing the inevitable, put one behind the ear IIRC, and killed it dead. Now that was fate, good for her, bad for the bear. That comment about Phil only having once in 25 yrs is a nice to know, that statistically odds are one hopes to never have a bad encounter, but it does happen.

I do not want anyone to be a bear's dinner and recommend when able, people carry something with a good amount of power, but that they can still shoot well. I do think people can/do overgun themselves at times and the adverse affect it has on accuracy can be counterproductive.

BTW, I don't claim to be able to shoot that well at will with a handgun, and I can imagine under stress, a handgun is all the more difficult to aim, at a bear, much less deer. Taken 2 myself -deer, with handguns, but admit when back in college, unloaded a few shots on a close range doe and only had ringing ears to show for it. I think my eyes were focused on deer, and not the sights.

Ahhhh, what experience and wisdom gained from that teaches us over time. How is the hunting up your way this year? My cousins and uncle are in Warren, was at my Aunt's funeral there a couple months ago. Hear the state...Detroit area hard hit by auto slowdown. Hope your not caught up in it.