Fellow Campers...

I'm seeking some insight and perhaps some unique and as yet untried method in hopes of retrieving my wayward rifle.

Reader's Digest version: Had a rifle built over the last year and half or so for a (successful) dangerous game hunt. For many reasons I didn't get the rifle until about 3 weeks prior to my departure (an entirely different but related story).

Part of the build included putting NECG sights on the rifle. Regulation for 400 gr. TSX at 50 yards resulted in this:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Time was short--So, I set the zero as it is, set zero on the scope and off I went to Africa. I had no time to do otherwise.

Upon my return I had some very urgent family matters to attend to and so the issue with the rifle took a back seat for about 6 weeks.

After sending the rifle back to the excellent gunsmith (Mark Bansner) who assembled the rifle (he got the barreled action and fit the sights/stock only), it was determined that the barrel was faulty. The sights are aligned within 0.001" of the barrel centerline.

I then began the REAL adventure about which I now write. After numerous unanswered phone calls--unanswered e-mails to the barrel maker (Dan Pedersen of "Classic Barrel Works" in Prescott, AZ) I had to send a letter to Mr. Pederson via USPS restricted delivery (confirms that only a specified person or authorized agent will receive a piece of mail.)

In the letter I explained what you've read here, enclosed the photos that you see and asked for some remedy.

It seemed to work (at first) and I was thankful and relieved that he responded within a day of getting the letter. He agreed to look at the rifle so I sent it to him. After a few days he called me and said that yes, the barrel did indeed appear to be faulty and the he'd do whatever it took to remedy the situation. That was in July.

Since then, I've had only three conversations with him. Always the same story--"just spun the barrel--just getting around to asking Mark Bansner about what they used to coat their rifles--call you by the end of the week". All BS.

I called Mark and asked him if Pederson had EVER called anyone in the shop regarding what they'd found when they inspected it OR anything about how they coat their rifles. NOBODY in the shop has ever gotten a call from Mr. Pederson.

It's now been almost two months since I've had any contact with Mr. Pederson. He refuses to take calls or has an answering service that is full and won't (literally) accept messages.

I've had a friend who went to gunsmithing school where Mr. Pederson is sometimes employed call a classmate who resides in the area of Mr. Pederson's shop and physically walk in to have him ask WTFO? (politely).

No response.

Last week I was able (finally) to get his voice mail--and left a message explaining that I felt I was running out of options.

I have now run into the proverbial brick wall.

He has my rifle and doesn't appear to want to either repair or return it.

***UPDATED ACTION***

My next course of action was to contact the state attorney general and file a complaint with them (they handle consumer complaint/fraud in Arizona) but they are unlikely to be effective and are S L O W in their response time.

I've contacted his boss at the Yavapai Junior College where he teaches (part time) and laid out the story for him. Haven't heard anything there but I just sent him a letter today so I don't expect to for a while.

I have his FFL # (he's also a gun dealer) so I also filed a complaint with BATFE. Finally, doing a search on the EZ Check (BATFE) I found that his FFL expires on Monday and along with notifying them of my complaint I have a feeling he'll be (at the very least) audited by the Feds. Hope his logs are up to snuff...

I'm seriously wondering whether or not someone could consider the rifle as having been stolen. It may seem a bit overblown at first blush, but the guy does have my rifle and does not seem inclined AT ALL to return it. He's just "disappeared"...

Elevating his bad behavior to a crime doesn't give me ANY pleasure whatsoever but I really am stuck.

At the same time I don't WANT to create any more problems and oh, by the way, I'd like first and foremost to get my rifle fixed and get it back. I think the first wish is unrealistic, so I may just have to lick my wounds and take this as a VERY expensive "life lesson"...and just get it back in one piece.

So, I present this dilemma for your thoughtful consideration and replies. Take a minute and put yourself in the situation--and perhaps I can find a way to resolve this successfully.

Although it's painfully obvious, I'd also strongly recommend that you avoid contracting for the services of Mr. Pederson or buying his barrels.

(This post been submitted in various appropriate forums--Accurate Reloading, etc.)

Last edited by Jambo; 11/28/08.

Rectum non bustus