I just used a new "smith" that I will not return to. I took in a 1896 6.5 x 55 Swede with a near perfect exterior. In my verbal and written instructions, I wanted 1 inch cut off the 29 inch barrel and a new crown(which would have left me with about a 27+ inch barrel), a butter knife bolt handle installed, and drilling and tapping for scope rings.

As the job is a 4 hour drive away, I had a nearby buddy pick it up to the tune of $289. He got it down to me about 3 weeks ago. I got the bolt handle (nice job there, the barrel cut down to 24 inches and recrowned, the rear sight and its mounting sleeve sweated off of the barrel leaving an extremely unsightly 4-inch section of bare metal in front of the receiver (it will have to be reblued), and the requested drill/tap for scope rings. I was not happy about the lost barrel length and the recently bared metal.

The work took a full nine months longer than the estimated 3 months, and it was my initiative that eventually found out the job was finished. I truly wish I had been on the phone more often to reinforce my desires. I will obviously be looking elsewhere to either acquire a new barrel or get this one blued.
An unhappy camper! 1Minute

Last edited by 1minute; 12/14/08.

1Minute