I'd add a lot of heavy cover- and /or close to dark- and/or in rain (washes any blood trail out), to the "close to water" bit.

Having lost two lung hit moose long enough for the meat to taint (one of them for 10 days!), I am now a dedicated, but not fanatical CNS shooter when I can get it. That means a standing or slow-moving animal inside 100 yards, with me in a steady shooting position- not necssarily, but preferably with a rest, preferably sitting or kneeling. But whatever.... An accurate scoped rifle goes without saying- or should.

In more open country where recovery is near-certain I'll hang with the double lunger- they bleed out better, for a higher quality meat IMO.

CNS not "quickest kill" necessarily, but done right, they don't go anywhere but straight downS, so you do know where they are! A finishing shot - whether or not they are "dead" is highly recommended with any shot placement- and approach from behind! I've got the dirty pants to show for this advice! smile

I'll second or third the bit about- if you know you double-lunged them for a fact and they are just standing there, or walking slowly toward the nearest cover, follow up shots may just serve to spook them, so just wait - unless you have an opportunity for a good CNS shot for your second round.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.