Originally Posted by 3sixbits
Originally Posted by 458Win
I always tell my clients to put the first shot right behind the front shoulder and when they lock up and stand there to put the next shot through the center of the neck.

I am always suspect of any moose that immediately falls over as i can virtually guarantee that the hit it too high in the hump and that it will quickly regain it's feet and be gone unless hit again in a vital area.

You are the first guide (that I have talked to or corresponded with) in Alaska that has said the center hump shot is not a good anchor shot. I once grazed a hump at way to far for a pistol with open sights and had the SOB fall and get back up and then fell again, to late the second time as I was on him, This time from 20 feet away.

I can almost always see the hump clear of the brush for a clear shot. I can't always say that about other parts of the animal.

You cut the spinal cord and no more messages can go to the legs.

Shoot the center of the hump, and no more messages to all four legs.

That's not exactly what Phil said. He said that he can practically guarantee it is too high if the moose falls over immediatly. This has not been my experience with my CNS shots, but then I have actually hit the spine - this is apparently not his experience with his guided hunters.. and he has without doubt seen far more moose shot than I have taken.

An actual "center hump shot" as you refer too, will spine the critter, and he will go down right there, and stay down (at least on the hind end), unless, as I earlier indicated, the bullet just missed the spine high and also slipped between two of the boney spurs above.

I should add that if you cannot maintain line of sight on approaching the animal, or do not have a partner that can cover the approach, your best bet is to stand there ready to shoot, and observe for 10 to 15 minutes to make sure the animal is down for keeps. Even then, it's not a sure bet, but likely your best course of action.

In heavy brush and quite close range, it might be better to immediately rush forward (safely!) before the shock can wear off. Just depends...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.