Originally Posted by wildone
Originally Posted by Romo
You could always aim for the shoulder and get lucky by spining him, right Wildone?

still trying to figure out how you accomplished that , but hey it worked that time ! smile

I got one that way once, using a 250 gr .338 mag slug. He was running flat out at 150 yards, straight away.

When he hooked to the left I got him quartering away, high through the shoulder blade nearside, and out the base of the neck farside, pulverizing about 6 inches of spine in between.Tthe spine takes a dip right there, but I was actually trying for a little lower and farther back, for both lungs. His momentum took him another 20 feet or so, out into 16 inches of water and muck lakeside, which was what I was trying to prevent (there wasn't that much thought process in that split second, when he hooked the "wrong" way from what I was expecting - I should have waited until he was on dry ground on the far side of that little neck connecting the two larger lakes).

I put an insurance round into the back of his head ( well placed I thought) from several yards away after walking up on him, placed the rifle against a birch sapling well back from the bank, and went out into the lake to get him out of there (It was a yearling forkhorn). When I grabbed his antler to start turning him around back toward the bank, he blinked at me.

Oh yes, I remember that bull quite well! smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.