Originally Posted by BlackFrog
Dave,

Does any compound 'squish' into the recoil lug threads, or on that screw? Or the tang threads/screw?

That's the thing I'm scared of- is having the compound get into, or on, the action threads/screws once you squish it into place.....

I know you mentioned applying release agent to the screws, do you also put some of that agent up into the threads?

In the post where I show the wet bedding placed in the areas I chose to bed, Note the picture where I carefully placed the recoil lug screw through it's hole in the stock. I hold that screw in place with my finger as I bring the recoil lug to the screw. My goal here is to engage the screw threads into the recoil lug before any bedding can squish into the threads.

In the tang area the majority of the bedding (which is such a small amount to begin with) is purposely kept away from the action screw hole so I don't have to worry so much about the tang action area threads.

I do apply release agent to the receiver threads as well as the screws just in case.

It doesn't always go as nicely as this job has gone. I have in the past accidentally filled recoil lug threads with bedding. On some actions this hole goes all the way through into the rifle action where the bolt lugs lock into the action shocked

That's why you have to really study your rifle before you begin this process & try your best to trouble shoot any of these possibilities.

This is also why I crack the action loose from the stock before the bedding is completely cured. So you can clean your action screw threads relatively easily & look for any unplanned mishaps while the bedding is still in a manageable state. (before it's rock hard grin )

Something clever here.