Hey, this is like, the most awesome thread ever. I just bought virtually the same rifle. I have reworked the trigger myself, floated the barrel and pillar bedded the stock. I was just contemplating about whether I wanted to be brave enough to tackle the glass bedding job. After seeing this thread, no worries. It's gonna be balls to the wall and here we go. Thanks so much for this thread. I just discovered this website and forum a week ago. I can see that this forum could become my new favorite forum. Kudos to this forum.

I just read all 24 pages of your post and the pics and things. Not that I'm a knowitall or anything, but I have 3 Ruger 77's, and on 2 of them, a 257 Roberts Hawkeye and a 300 RCM, I had the triggers replaced with Timneys and the muzzles crowned. I then took them home and floated the barrel and pillar bedded the stocks. They will shoot slightly better than 1" groups at 200 yards with handloads. Anyway, my point is that the gunsmith that did the muzzle crown jobs said just about every mass manufactured rifle made, and especially Ruger will benefit from a re-crown, so that is something you may want to consider to pull them groups in even tighter. My 3rd Hawkeye is awaiting my return from 2 weeks of army training and will recieve a bedding job thanks to your wonderful post. Just for kicks, I'm gonna give it a whirl without a re-crown, but will have that done before hunting season.

Last edited by hajii; 05/01/11.