Originally Posted by fremont
My container of Acraglas suggests I tape (using electrical tape) the front and sides of the front lug. Anybody do this? I've got a Mark X Mauser action, and I'm worried about creating edges that could cause a mechanical lock.

Yes, put electrical tape on the front sides and bottom of the recoil lug. The only contact should be on the rear of the lug.

This is an interesting thread, and takes me back aways. In the late 1970's, I started getting interested in bolt action rifles. I read extensively, and became a big fan of Peter Paul Mauser. I bought an Argentine 1909, new in cosmoline, and was given a surplus 98 in 8MM. Both those guns would shoot 1.5" or better 5-shot groups with iron sites. In fact, the Argentine put 5 Sierra 150 gr Spitzer's into 1.25", at 3000FPS. But, I wanted a modern bolt gun, so I could scope it, and Ruger 77 has a claw extractor. It didn't have CRF, but what did I know?

In about 1983, I finally could afford a new rifle. I bought the 77 in 7X57, what else? I put on a Leupold 2-7X, loaded some rounds, and was excited to get to the range. Much to my chagrin, it printed 2.5-3"!!! With a scope, no less. So, I bedded it, did the trigger, loaded more ammo, which I think were Sierra 140 grain bullets. Still, crappy groups. I couldn't understand why the Ruger, with a good trigger, free floated barrel, etc, couldn't match up to a surplus 8MM Mauser. The Mauser doesn't have matching numbers, has a hand guard and a barrel band, but shoots under 1.5". I have come to the conclusion that the Ruger was just a bad gun, and it was probably the most disappointing gun ownership experience I have ever had. I sold it, of course. I later bought another 77 in 22-250, and it was good for about one inch. It left the house, too.

Bedding won't turn a pig's ear into a silk purse. If you screw a good barrel into a square action, your rifle will shoot. I have bedded all my bolt action guns, whether they need it or not. But bedding won't make up for sloppy machine work. I think it's a minor consideration. As I read through this thread, I was wondering how the gun would shoot after bedding. I'm not surprised by the results, and in fact expected the poor groups after the work was done. Maybe it is better now, but what does a ten shot group look like?

Last edited by Paddler; 06/22/10.

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope