Nice job on the bedding, i've got to do my 300 with a backward action (LH). It is a ruger m77 mkII also, it shoots 3/4 inch groups with the ruger forend pressure bedded stock. My new stock will also be pressure bedded at the forend but in a nice pepper laminate. I've heard of people having trouble with their groups after freefloating their m77's. I think if you have a good consistent shooting rifle, 1 moa or better, you should leave the pressure bedding at the forend alone (as in my rifle's case). If you have one that doesn't shoot good that way, then by all means freefloat the barrel. Experiment any way you can to get it to shooting good.
Originally Posted by BlackFrog
If you find your barrel doesn't like to be free-floated (like mine), then what's the best way to add back the forearm pressure?

I shot my rifle, got decent groups and then decided to try free-floating the barrel to see if things got better yet. That was a mistake for my gun, it really opened up the groups.

So, I've read where Rugers like to have 8-10lbs of forearm pressure. Hang this weight on the front sling stud while some compound sets up in the first 1-2" of the stock channel?

Last edited by chief2515; 01/09/10.